Tuesday 11 June 2013

Wanna get lucky? No time like the present.

My best mate and I have an ongoing argument.  She thinks she's the luckiest girl in the world, only it's me.  I'm right for lots of good reasons, too. For one thing, I've survived myself and my many and wondrous boneheaded mistakes, which is really saying something.  For another, my muscles.  A life-time of bicycles hasn't hurt any, but calves are largely genetic. Lucky me.  My eyesight is better now than it was ten years ago, if you can imagine, and so far I haven't had to dye my hair, either, fingers crossed.  How lucky is that? Most importantly, though: if I'd been born in almost any other time or place, someone would most certainly have burned me at the stake before I turned of age.


Goodness knows mum sure wanted to a few times.
Bless her.
I'm proof positive that while you're only young once, you can remain immature indefinitely, so you know that I take real glee in saying

I.  Told.  You.  So.
times two.

Firstly:
That's not the half of it really.  Sex doesn't just make you look younger, you actually
 live longer if you do it every day..  

You see?
Yes, of course I've said it before and since I have the memory of a goldfish I am going to enjoy telling you all over again sooner or later, too.  (It's always interesting, always new, for me if not for you.)

Number B, and by some strange coincidence,
cycling also makes you live longer!

Et Voila. I might just live forever, lucky me.
At the very least it's sure to be a long, happy life full of copious quantities of sex. I don't know about you, but that sounds a lot like Heaven on Earth to me.

Oooooh...
imagine if you could do both at once in a naked version of the bicyclesutra!


 I'd injure someone. I can't walk across the room without stubbing my toe on something,
but I can dream!

Don't worry. Being awkward and simple is a blessing in its own way, too, you know.  It affords me the ability to remain an eternal apocaloptimist.  Despite the overwhelming evidence that the world is on the express train to Hell, I still think everything is going to turn out alright in the end. (!)

Whenever things get stressful for me, I remember that I always have everything I need.  Then it becomes easier to notice opportunity when it appears.


I taut I taw a puddy tat!

Hey!  Did you know that it's Car Free Day this Sunday, June 16?  It's an opportunity to connect with other switched-on people.  I grew up in Alberta, so I learned to drive young, and cars really were a way of life.
  How else could a girl get to Banff to ski weekends?  This little sweetheart and I saw a lot of Rocky Mountain miles.  Of course cars have a time and place, but life is sooooooo much sweeter when you don't often need them.


Lucky for me, I toured the Rockies on bicycle even before I started driving, and as far as experiences go they don't begin to compare.  I tired of cars early on, blessed be.  You see?  I win again.  :)

Fortunately, I'm not often alone on the roads these days, because when it comes to cycling, there is definitely safety in numbers.  I don't know about how many of you are having lots of great, life-elongating sex, but there are definitely way more of you out there on bikes these days. Bikes have taken over a third of the floor space at Mountain Equipment Co-Op, too. That's really saying something, cause MEC sells all things outdoor, really, from tents, backpacks and sleeping bags to kayaks, paddleboards, skis, climbing gear and more.  There is a proliferation of other bike shops around town, too, each with its own niche.  

It used to be that many buildings wouldn't let people bring their bikes in, but now they all have bicycle storage.  Despite the bizarre situation in Troublonto, Ontario, many workplaces are becoming savvy to the benefits of a healthy, happy workforce.  They used to forbid bikes inside this particular facility, and now they have a gym, showers, and this:


Yup.  It's getting better all the time, specially here.

The boys in the hood are fully switched on.  Sure they're hip,


but they're cool


... and I was happy to meet them.


 No, I wasn't hoping for lift-off.  I wanted them to ride by the camera so you could see all of the pretty bikes up close, but these guys are super chill, and that's ok, too.

There are a million reasons why I'm the luckiest girl in the world.  Sometimes people say "Oh!  But look what happened to you then!" or "Look at how terribly that turned out...!" and really, that's the point.
Luck is a funny thing.  Sometimes it arrives in disguise.  Sometimes it looks unfortunate in the beginning, though luck is luck is luck in the end.  Whether it's good or bad is up to you.

The trick is in appreciating the present in the moment.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "while you're only young once, you can remain immature indefinitely" Nicely said! I will probably quote you on this one in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that opening photo from "ET"?

    ReplyDelete